As we get closer to the holidays, buying gifts for your family and friends will most certainly come to mind (as long as they’re not on the naughty list, right?).
For many people buying gifts can be pretty challenging because it may seem like your family and friends already have everything.
This holiday season, consider buying something handmade by a local maker. Here are just a few reasons to buy handmade gifts this year.
- Local Economics. When you buy something handmade from my local maker you support the local economy. After all, small businesses are the backbone of our national economy.
- Community Development. Buying handmade products naturally builds a local community. Every handmade item becomes a conversation piece.
- Cyclical Re-investment. Most of the time local makers are buying their supplies locally which helps other small businesses and families.
- The Next New Thing. Handmade items are contemporary, new, and often the origin of modern trends.
- Who Made It? You can put a face to where your items come from compared to having no clue if mass produced products are safe for your home until a recall is ordered. Local makers know the origin of their materials.
- Customer Service. (One of my favorites) by visiting a local makers gift shop you get to avoid the self check out and have your purchases bagged or even gift wrapped. And many makers are even offering free shipping these days!
- Quality & Safety. Handmade items are typically made using durable, high-quality materials and not estrogen or chemical rich supplies.
So this year visit some local makers and buy something unique that will be genuinely appreciated.
Does someone in your life enjoy home decor? Find a handmade painting made by a local painter, or sculpture made by a local sculptor.
Do you have a coffee or tea drinker in your life? Find that local potter and buy them a mug or two.
Need something custom made? Big box stores aren’t the place to go!
To see handmade items in our shop, click here!